- Upgrade path from 1.x
- Known issues and limitations
- Release cadence
- Kubernetes deployment support
- Technical support
Along with the 12.0 release of GitLab, we have bumped the chart version to 2.0
The GitLab version has been updated to 12.x, which has strict requirements on it’s migration path from previous versions.
This means that in order to upgrade to the 2.0 version of the chart, you first need to upgrade to the latest
release of the chart. Check the version mapping details for the latest patch.
If you don’t first upgrade to the latest
1.9.x patch, you will see the following error from
Error: UPGRADE FAILED: Job failed: BackoffLimitExceeded
You can then confirm you are in this situation by looking for pods in error with the text
gitlab-upgrade-check in the name.
If you check the logs for those pods will see the version upgrade error message.
It seems you are attempting an unsupported upgrade path. Please follow the upgrade documentation at https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/policy/maintenance.html#upgrade-recommendations and upgrade to 11.11 before upgrading to 12.0.0.
The chart and containers are a work in progress, and not all features are fully functional. Below is a list of the known issues and limitations, although it may not be exhaustive. We recommend also reviewing the open issues.
Helm Chart Issues/Limitations:
- No in-cluster HA database: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/charts/gitlab/-/issues/48
- No GitLab Pages support: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/charts/gitlab/-/issues/37
- No GitLab Geo support: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/charts/gitlab/-/issues/8
- Restoring backups taken from install types other than this GitLab chart require you to migrate the original instance to object storage first: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/charts/gitlab/-/issues/646
Features that are currently out of scope:
- Relative URL as the GitLab Endpoint: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/charts/gitlab/-/issues/406
We will be releasing a new version of the chart with each new GitLab patch.
More information on how we are versioning the chart can be found in the release documentation.
Along with the issues and merge requests in this repo, a changelog is available to more easily follow along with updates.
GitLab is tested against:
Other Kubernetes deployments should also work. In the event of a specific non-GKE deployment issue, please raise an issue.
We are currently using Kubernetes version 1.11.8 in our automated tests, and 1.12.8 for development.
We greatly appreciate the wider testing of the community, and encourage detailed issues to be reported so we can address them.
We welcome any improvements contributed in the form of Merge Requests.