Not all project & group names are allowed because they would conflict with existing routes used by GitLab.
For a list of words that are not allowed to be used as group or project names, see the
TOP_LEVEL_ROUTES: are names that are reserved as usernames or top level groups
PROJECT_WILDCARD_ROUTES: are names that are reserved for child groups or projects.
GROUP_ROUTES: are names that are reserved for all groups or projects.
- Project or group names must start with a letter, digit, emoji, or “_”.
- Project names can only contain letters, digits, emoji, “_”, “.”, “+”, dashes, or spaces.
- Group names can only contain letters, digits, emoji, “_”, “.”, parenthesis, dashes, or spaces.
- Project or group slugs must start with a letter or digit.
- Project or group slugs can only contain letters, digits, ‘_’, ‘.’, or dashes.
- Project or group slugs must not contain consecutive special characters.
- Project or group slugs cannot start or end with a special character.
- Project or group slugs cannot end in
It is not possible to create a project with the following names:
The following names are reserved as top level groups:
These group names are unavailable as subgroup names: