- Create users on sign-in page
- Create users in Admin Area
- Create users through authentication integrations
- Create users through the Rails console
You can create users:
- Manually through the sign-in page.
- Manually in the Admin Area.
- Manually using the API.
- Automatically through user authentication integrations.
Create users on sign-in page
Users can create their own accounts by either:
- Selecting the Register now link on the sign-in page.
- Navigating to your GitLab instance’s sign-up link. For example:
Create users in Admin Area
- You must have administrator access to the instance.
To create a user manually:
- On the top bar, select Main menu > Admin.
- On the left sidebar, select Overview > Users (
- Select New user.
- Complete the required fields, such as name, username, and email.
- Select Create user.
A reset link is sent to the user’s email and they are forced to set their password on first sign in.
To set a user’s password without relying on the email confirmation, after you create a user following the previous steps:
- Select the user.
- Select Edit.
- Complete the password and password confirmation fields.
- Select Save changes.
The user can now sign in with the new username and password, and they are asked to change the password you set up for them.
Create users through authentication integrations
- Automatically created upon first sign in with the LDAP integration.
- Created when first signing in using an OmniAuth provider if
allow_single_sign_onsetting is present.
- Created when first signing with Group SAML.
- Automatically created by SCIM when the user is created in the identity provider.
Create users through the Rails console
To create a user through the Rails console:
- Start a Rails console session.
Run the following commands:
u = User.new(username: 'test_user', email: 'firstname.lastname@example.org', name: 'Test User', password: 'password', password_confirmation: 'password') u.skip_confirmation! # Use it only if you wish user to be automatically confirmed. If skipped, user receives confirmation e-mail u.save!