Import a project from GitLab.com to your self-managed GitLab instance (deprecated)
The GitLab.com importer was deprecated in GitLab 15.8 and will be removed in GitLab 16.0. To import GitLab projects from GitLab.com to a self-managed GitLab instance use migrating groups and projects by direct transfer.
You can import your existing GitLab.com projects to your GitLab instance.
- GitLab.com integration must be enabled on your GitLab instance. Read more about GitLab.com integration for self-managed GitLab instances.
To import a GitLab.com project to your self-managed GitLab instance:
- In GitLab, on the top bar, select Main menu > Projects > View all projects.
- On the right of the page, select New project.
- Select Import project.
- Select GitLab.com.
- Give GitLab.com permission to access your projects.
- Select Import.
The importer imports your repository and issues. When the importer is done, a new GitLab project is created with your imported data.
- To automate user, group, and project import API calls, see Automate group and project import.
- To import Wiki and merge request data to your new instance, see exporting a project.