Introduced in GitLab 13.5.
When Require admin approval for new sign-ups is enabled, any user that signs up for an account using the registration form is placed under a Pending approval state.
A user pending approval is functionally identical to a blocked user.
A user pending approval:
- Will not be able to sign in.
- Cannot access Git repositories or the API.
- Will not receive any notifications from GitLab.
- Does not consume a seat.
A user that is pending approval can be approved from the Admin Area. To do this:
- Navigate to Admin Area > Overview > Users.
- Click on the Pending approval tab.
- Select a user.
- Under the Account tab, click Approve user.
Approving a user:
- Activates their account.
- Changes the user’s state to active and it consumes a seat.