This tutorial will show you how to move a personal project to a group.
In GitLab, you use groups to manage one or more related projects at the same time. A group gives you some great benefits. For example, you can:
- Manage permissions for your projects.
- View all of the issues and merge requests for the projects in the group.
- View all unique users in your namespace, across all projects.
- Manage usage quotas.
- Start a trial or upgrade to a paid tier. This option is important if you’re impacted by the changes to user limits, and need more users.
However, if you’re working in a personal project, you can’t use these features. Personal projects are created under your personal namespace. They’re not part of a group, so you can’t get any of the benefits and features of a group.
But don’t worry! You can move your existing personal project to a group. The next steps show you how.
Here’s an overview of what we’re going to do:
To begin, make sure you have a suitable group to move your project to. The group must allow the creation of projects, and you must have at least the Maintainer role for the group.
If you don’t have a group, create one:
- On the top bar, select Main menu > Groups > View all groups.
- On the right of the page, select New group.
- In Group name, enter a name for the group.
- In Group URL, enter a path for the group, which is used as the namespace.
- Choose the visibility level.
- Optional. Fill in information to personalize your experience.
- Select Create group.
Before you move your project to a group:
Now you’re ready to move your project:
- On the top bar, select Main menu > Projects and find your project.
- On the left sidebar, select Settings > General.
- Expand Advanced.
- Under Transfer project, choose the group to transfer the project to.
- Select Transfer project.
- Enter the project’s name and select Confirm.
You are redirected to the project’s new page. If you have more than one personal project, you can repeat these steps for each project.
You can now view your project in your group:
- On the top bar, select Main menu > Groups and find your group.
- Look for your project under Subgroups and projects.
Start enjoying the benefits of a group! For example, as the group Owner, you can quickly view all unique users in your namespace:
- In your group, select Settings > Usage Quotas.
- The Seats tab displays all users across all projects in your group.