- Introduced in GitLab 13.4.
- Feature flag removed in GitLab 13.8
With Gitpod, you can describe your development environment as code to get fully set up, compiled, and tested development environments for any GitLab project. The development environments are not only automated but also prebuilt which means that Gitpod continuously builds your Git branches like a CI/CD server.
This means you don’t have to wait for dependencies to be downloaded and builds to finish, you can start coding immediately. With Gitpod you can start coding instantly on any project, branch, and merge request from any device, at any time, from your browser:
To use the GitLab Gitpod integration, it must be enabled for your GitLab instance. Users of:
- GitLab.com can use it immediately after it’s enabled in their user settings.
- GitLab self-managed instances can use it after:
For more information about Gitpod, see the Gitpod features and documentation.
Enable Gitpod in your user settings
With the Gitpod integration enabled for your GitLab instance, to enable it for yourself:
- In the upper-right corner, select your avatar.
- Select Preferences.
- Under Preferences, locate the Integrations section.
- Select the Enable Gitpod integration checkbox and select Save changes.
Configure a self-managed instance
For self-managed GitLab instances, a GitLab administrator must:
- Enable the Gitpod integration in GitLab:
- On the top bar, select Main menu > Admin.
- On the left sidebar, select Settings > General.
- Expand the Gitpod configuration section.
- Select the Enable Gitpod integration checkbox.
- Enter the Gitpod instance URL (for example,
- Select Save changes.
- Register the self-managed GitLab instance in Gitpod. For more information, see the Gitpod documentation.
GitLab users can then enable the Gitpod integration for themselves.
Launch Gitpod in GitLab
You can launch Gitpod directly from GitLab in one of these ways:
- From your project’s page:
From a merge request:
- Go to your merge request.
- In the upper-right corner, select Code, then select Open in Gitpod.
Gitpod builds your development environment for your branch.