Tags are useful for marking certain deployments and releases for later reference. Git supports two types of tags:
- Annotated tags: An unchangeable part of Git history.
- Lightweight (soft) tags: Tags that can be set and removed as needed.
Many projects combine an annotated release tag with a stable branch. Consider setting deployment or release tags automatically.
- Create a lightweight tag.
- Create an annotated tag.
- Push the tags to the remote repository.
git checkout master # Lightweight tag git tag my_lightweight_tag # Annotated tag git tag -a v1.0 -m 'Version 1.0' # Show list of the existing tags git tag git push origin --tags
- Tagging Git reference page