Introduced in GitLab Premium 10.6.
GitLab provides an integration for updating the pipeline statuses on GitHub. This is especially useful if using GitLab for CI/CD only.
This integration requires a GitHub API token
repo:status access granted:
- Go to your “Personal access tokens” page at https://github.com/settings/tokens
- Click “Generate New Token”
- Ensure that
repo:statusis checked and click “Generate token”
- Copy the generated token to use on GitLab
- Navigate to the project you want to configure.
- Navigate to the Integrations page
- Click “GitHub”.
- Ensure that the Active toggle is enabled.
- Paste the token you’ve generated on GitHub
- Enter the path to your project on GitHub, such as
- Optionally uncheck Static status check names checkbox to disable static status check names.
- Save or optionally click “Test Settings”.
Once the integration is configured, see Pipelines for external pull requests to configure pipelines to run for open pull requests.
- Introduced in GitLab 11.5: using static status check names as opt-in option.
- In GitLab 12.4, static status check names is default behavior for new projects.
This makes it possible to mark these status checks as Required on GitHub. With Static status check names enabled on the integration page, your GitLab instance host name is appended to a status check name, whereas in case of dynamic status check names, a branch name is appended.