- Introduced in GitLab 8.9.
- From GitLab 11.3, import/export can use object storage automatically.
GitLab provides Rake tasks relating to project import and export. For more information, see:
- Project import/export documentation.
- Project import/export API.
- Developer documentation: project import/export
You can query an import through the Project import/export API. As described in the API documentation, the query may return an import error or exceptions.
If you have a larger project, consider using a Rake task, as described in our developer documentation.
The GitLab import/export version can be checked by using the following command:
# Omnibus installations sudo gitlab-rake gitlab:import_export:version # Installations from source bundle exec rake gitlab:import_export:version RAILS_ENV=production
The current list of DB tables to export can be listed by using the following command:
# Omnibus installations sudo gitlab-rake gitlab:import_export:data # Installations from source bundle exec rake gitlab:import_export:data RAILS_ENV=production
Note the following:
- Importing is only possible if the version of the import and export GitLab instances are compatible as described in the Version history.
- The project import option must be enabled in
application settings (
/admin/application_settings/general) under Import sources, which is available under Admin Area > Settings > Visibility and access controls.
- The exports are stored in a temporary shared directory and are deleted every 24 hours by a specific worker.